Friday, September 3, 2010

4 pepper sloppy lentils




As the weather is cooling off and my plate is getting fuller I have been using my crock pot a lot lately to cook while I'm at work. Today I made a variation of my grandmother's sloppy lentil recipe. It tastes just like sloppy joes but without the death of a cute cow. This time I sliced up a bunch of sweet potatoes in uneven slices (who wants uniform fries anyway?), seasoned them and made sweet potato fries. This recipe is usually better the next day after its had a chance to marry over night in the fridge but it's definitely good hot and fresh on day one. This recipe makes a lot so be prepared to have all kinds of yummy left overs.
2 cups of lentils (I prefer green but you can use whatever you like)
1 small green pepper chopped
1 small red pepper chopped
1 small yellow pepper chopped
1 med. yellow chili pepper chopped1 med. onion chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 tblsp. garlic powder
1 tblsp. onion powder
1 tblsp. crushed red pepper
Chili powder to taste
1 bottle chili sauce (I like Hines but again whatever you like)

put all ingredients in crock pot except chili sauce. cover with water. let cook on low till lentils are tender but not completely done. check water throughout cooking, should be kept thick though don't add too much water. When lentils get to tender stage add bottle of chili sauce and let cook on low for another hour. Then usually you would let it cool and then refrigerate overnight to serve the next day. But again you can eat this right away if you'd like...I sure did!

*please by all means use this recipe if you like but do not try to take credit it for it in another blog or anything else as this recipe was created by my grandmother. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment